Tour Length: 1.5-2 hours
Untouched Buildings Accessed: 2-3
Dive deep into the rich past of the Richardson Olmsted Campus on this two-hour guided tour of unoccupied buildings. Led by an expert docent, visitors will gain access to spaces untouched since the 1970s and not featured on the one-hour tour.
Visitors will be immersed into the philosophies integrated into the Richardson by architect Henry Hobson Richardson, landscape architects Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux, and mental health advocate Dr. Thomas Kirkbride.
During the tour, visitors will experience some of the site’s original structures as well as the healing landscape designed to serve as a therapeutic environment for patients.
Please Note: This is a historical tour of abandoned buildings yet to be redeveloped by the Richardson.
- Ages 16 and up.
- For your safety, sturdy, closed-toe shoes are required. We reserve the right to turn away anyone without appropriate shoes.
- Photography is not allowed inside the historical buildings on this tour.
- This tour requires the ability to walk for the full duration of the tour as well as climb stairs.
- Prepare to get a little dusty during your time on-site. We strongly recommend wearing a mask in interior spaces.
- You are strongly encouraged to bring bottled water as it can get warm inside the building in the summer.
- Tours are rain or shine.